23 March, 2009

A Guy Just Trying To Find His Way

I met a young man last week with whom I can’t help but relate. We have hung out at least five times since we met and each time the conversation is interesting and rich, teeming at the brim with questions about religion. Tonight, something he said really stuck with me – it keeps echoing in my ears.

He told me his father is Jewish and his mother Catholic. When they married, neither would convert, but they compromised their beliefs by not following in the traditions of their faiths. They quit going to church or temple, quit taking up their daily cross, and quit observing the Sabbath. They thought in order to have a successful, loving marriage, this was necessary.

Double check: they felt it necessary to give up their faith in order to live in harmony. My heart groaned when he told me this. Never should a person have to give up their faith! But if one is willing to give up seeking the Lord, perhaps they never were seeking and following Him in the first place. Perhaps his parents were never really seeking at all, I don’t know.

This poor guy, as I can completely understand, is confused. With two parents of differing religions, two parents that cannot claim the ultimate truth in their own faith, it is a no wonder why he doesn’t know where to begin. Neither parent can answer nor witness to their own claimed faith. And neither parent finds truth enough in their own faith to search out these answers to lead their son in the right direction --- towards God. Towards Jesus. Lord, lead him to the cross. He is asking all the right questions. I just pray that you can use me to help answer those for him. I can see him struggling inwards for this peace you have given me. God, please, just love on him like you did on me.

This young man also said he felt everyone has a purpose in life and he thinks his is to get married. He feels that is the end goal of his life. And as I know it is a good, wonderful union to be married, it is not the end goal. When two people are married, the marriage itself shouldn’t be the purpose of their lives. The purposes of the two separate people should be one in the same: to seek to know and understand God for themselves and others, and in doing so, to glorify Him. When they marry each other with this same purpose in common, they get to be a team in seeking God! The ultimate partner. That is what he really wants. When I asked him if this sounded like it might be a good alternative to his current belief, he breathed in heavily and said, “That sounds glorious.” Why isn’t this man a Christian yet, I don’t know. But I have a feeling, God, that you’re working in him right now as we speak.

Back to his parents and their opposing worldviews, he said something else that was very interesting. He said, “I’m just confused. How can you be so sure of something?” And then in his own confusion he just kept mumbling, “Love.” He wanted to know why “love” couldn’t just be the center of a marriage. Lord, are you asking me to show him what love is? That it is not just a feeling towards someone? That it is a life-choice to seek to know and understand You for yourself as well as your husband or wife? That love is a choice to seek your Word through Jesus all the days of your life? Oh God, you are glorious. Show me the way, show me what to do.

Teach me. Use me. I am yours. Amen.

Photobucket

0 comments: