20 January, 2009

Light is Oh So Good

What a wondrous thing to be God’s fellow. To have a friend who is entirely and without exception, great. He is great at loving humans. Unmatchable as a teacher. Seamless in his handiwork. Sounds like He is the most beautiful friend on the planet. And off the planet if we’re going to get technical...

I’ want that with God. Fellowship. To have similar desires; for Him to look at me and say “Ahhh, finally. She is learning to act in accordance with her nature, which I have created.”

But…we don’t always get what we want, eh? And that is just the problem. We want what we want, when we want it, and how we want it. In order to find harmony with God, we must desire His desires – and let them be greater than our own.

I struggle with this constantly, every day of my life. I see that God’s ways are good – oh so good. And I see that my ways are evil, disgusting and shameful. I wish I could just desire His desires already. I want Him to transform me. Mold me into something beautifully crafted for the progression of His plan, whatever it may be.

But somehow, I cannot let go of myself. I have come to love, even enjoy being in the dark, without Him, without light, without goodness. It is utterly terrifying.

Although God loves us more than we can fathom, He cannot have fellowship with us when we walk away from Him. Or in other words; when we walk away from the light and into the darkness. Because see, “light,” used here, can we exchangeable for wisdom, goodness, love, perfection and truth. God is purely light – and anything not of Him (the absence of Him), well, it is dark. His light cannot dwell where it is not dwelling, not in the dark. In all of his righteousness, God cannot possibly allow darkness to enter his sanctuary. And when we are dark – we cannot enter.

It is simply impossible, you see. For God’s light is eternal: with no beginning and no end. It is complete in itself forever and ever. So as much as God loves us and yearns for a relationship with us, He simply will not force us into one, as long as we choose to walk towards darkness, towards His absence.

Of course, He could chase after us – send His light booming along the ground by our feet, so that we may not fall. But sometimes, inevitably, we choose to not look. We do not want His help, his kindness. We are proud and are positive we can walk alone, without God.

The topic of light and darkness consequentially brings up a new and heavy subject of concern for me recently; the topic of a renewed heart. My question is – is it true that without a renewed heart, given to some by God’s grace, it is impossible to seek God? If so…it doesn’t seem quite fair, now does it? Hopefully a post will be following this one soon with more questions (but this time, with answers)!

Please God, teach me to desire your desires. Teach me the difference between darkness and light; evil and goodness; love for myself and love for you, love for others. I pray these things tonight. Amen.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Justine McKnight said...

I have so many things I would love to say on this entry....it's so beautiful in so many ways. But I will just leave you with the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. I had no idea why, but this morning I felt the need to wait up, grab my guitar, and just sing this song. The words have been penetrating my mind all morning. Then I read your blog. That song was no accident.

Marvelous Light by Charlie Hall

I once was fatherless, a stranger with no hope.
Your kindness wakened me, wakened me from my sleep.
Your love it beckons deeply, a call to come and die.
By grace now I will come and take this life, take Your life

(PreChorus) Sin has lost its power, death has lost its sting.
From the grave You've risen...victoriously!

(Chorus) Into marvelous light I'm running
Out of darkness, out of shame, by the cross You are the Truth, You are the life, You are the way.

(Verse 2) My dead heart now is beating, my deepest stains now clean.
Your breath fills up my lungs, now I am free, now I am free.

(PreChorus) Sin has lost its power, death has lost its sting.
From the grave You've risen...victoriously!

(Chorus) Into marvelous light I'm running
Out of darkness, out of shame, by the cross You are the Truth, You are the life, You are the way.

(Bridge-my fav part!) I lift my hands and I spin around! See the light that I have found! O the marvelous light, marvelous light, marvelous light...

Justine McKnight said...

As I was reading this post i also kept thinking about how i feel the EXACT same way! Frustration is a feeling I know very well. But we are not alone in our frustration over our flesh.

It was so neat to read what you wrote because, little did you know, that you were actually quoting almost verbatim from the book of Romans in the New Testament! Paul, one of my favorite characters in the Bible, was one of the major writers for the New Testament. He wrote many books and his letters to the new Christians churches that are recorded in books like Acts, Romans, etc. Paul was a persecutor of the church and was responsible for thousands of Christians deaths. He HATED Christians. Then Jesus rocked his life and he became one of the strongest leaders of the faith. Can you believe it? His life and journey to find God is all in the New Testament. Anyway...he's awesome.

I remember us talking about the book of Romans recently and you made some comment like, "It seems like there's a lot of cool stuff in there." Well, I think that you will particularly enjoy this section of Romans (considering it's almost EXACTLY what your post is about).

Romans 7:14-25 (The Message)

14-16 I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

17-20 But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21-23 It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24 I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

What do you think? Paul is so relatable isn't he? I don't know about you, but if Paul, author of most of the New Testament, feels this way....it kinda makes me feel a little bit less like a complete schmuck.

If you get curious....Paul finishes his thought in Romans 8.... I've attached it in an e-mail to you. ;)

I love you and respect your journey so very much. We are in this together.